Tuesday, February 14, 2006
Note: picture #1 is my friend's baby; picture #2 is my friend and her aunt-in-law and uncle
The jade can be used for the purpose of the protection from evil spirit or the blessing for easy raising. In Asia, when our friends have new born baby, the parents celebrate at her one-month old and one-year old. The custom has been kept for very long time, since thoes time frames play as the indicator that baby is healthy sufficient to survive. At baby's one-month old, people usually give her gold jewlry (24K) or red envelope with some money as blessing her such a precious treasure to the family and as protection from the bad spirit as well.
You may think red envelope is useful for every cheerful occation, such as new year or wedding or new baby. That is because we believe the bad spirit is afraid of red. We often have the red envelope(s) in the pillow case for couple days. So, you may either consider jade or red envelope underneath your pillow case for good luck.
Friday, February 03, 2006
- You may use either butternut or acorn
- Just cut it in half, remove seeds and membranes
- Either steam by a pot or steam cooker or by microwave on high, flesh side down in 1/4 cup of water for approximate 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Peel some lemon skin
- Squeeze the lemon juice into small pot
- Mix with 2 tablespoon brown sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon sugar (if any)
- Cook till it boils. Do not keep on top of stove for too long, it will get burn
- Serve the warm syrup and lemon grass on the top of the warm butternut squash